Here are five reasons why carbs are great:
- Carbs make you happy. I’m sure you have all heard of the feel-good brain chemical serotonin before? Well it is believed that the intake of carbohydrate-rich foods can increase the amount of serotonin produced by the brain. Studies have found that people who follow a very low carbohydrate diet for a year experienced more depression, anxiety, and anger than those assigned to a low-fat, high-carb diet that focused on low-fat dairy, whole grains, fruit, and beans.
- Carbs give you energy. In fact they are your body’s main source of energy. There’s a reason runners “carbo-load” before their big races, and it’s not only because carbs taste good. It’s because they can tell how the complex carbs affect their performance.
- Carbs help you maintain your weight. Many people blame weight gain on carbs, but carbs have been proven to help dieters maintain their weight as long as they are picking the right carbs to eat and are eating them in moderation. The great thing about carbs is that they fill you up and keep you feeling full.
- Carbs help prevent diseases. This is because carb-rich foods are packed with fibre, and fibrous foods help your body fight certain diseases, help with your indigestion and keep cholesterol and heart diseases under control.
- Carbs are good for digestion. Not only do they help you digest food, but they speed up the whole process. The dietary fibre found in carbohydrates helps digestion because it moves food quickly through intestines, which helps prevent digestive disorders such as constipation.